What time to Shoot Birds in these places.....

EisMann

Feb 15, 2013
Singapore
Hi there,

For those who have being shooting birds photos in Singapore, can you share, normally what time(s) you were in these places for the photo shoot?

1) Lor Halus
2) Chinese/Japanese Gardens
3) Bidadari Cemetery
4) Sungei Buloh

After practicing in HDB blocks shooting mynahs & pigeons & occasionally an olivebacked sun bird, I finally have tried Jurong Bird Park 3 weeks. Very happy in that occasion except that there was no brown eagle there to complete my happiness.

I know I have to manage my expectation when shooting in the wild.
I hope to able to manage at least an average 5 shots within 3 hours in each of those places listed.
Hence I hope you can share with your past experience.

I plan to start with Chinese/Japanese Gardens or Bidadari first in this CYN holiday, next Monday or Tuesday.

Thank You
EisMann

Reactions: stephaniechew
Hi there,

For those who have being shooting birds photos in Singapore, can you share, normally what time(s) you were in these places for the photo shoot?

1) Lor Halus
3) Bidadari Cemetery
4) Sungei Buloh

After practicing in HDB blocks shooting mynahs & pigeons & occasionally an olivebacked sun bird, I finally have tried Jurong Bird Park 3 weeks. Very happy in that occasion except that there was no brown eagle there to complete my happiness.

I hope to able to manage at least an average 5 shots within 3 hours in each of those places listed.

I plan to start with Chinese/Japanese Gardens or Bidadari first in this CYN holiday, next Monday or Tuesday.

Thank You
EisMann

Hi there,

1) Lor Halus
3) Bidadari Cemetery
4) Sungei Buloh

Thank You
EisMann
Best time is morning before high noon. Birds will take cover and so must you. Though you might find one or two species at high noon provided you want to bear the heat. Late afternoon is kinda good too.
Shooting in places you mentioned, you must take into consideration where are the birds going to be. They won't wait at the park entrance to welcome you and bring you to the tree it always hang out. You have to know where to look for them. Also depends if it's migration period or not. During this time, you'll have more rare species to shoot.
Places with too heavy human and motorised traffic is harder to get close to them unless you are shooting mynahs and sparrows.
Always approach the birds slowly and do not destroy habitats to get the shot or poach any birds.

Happy shooting :)

For Lor Halus, the sunbirds will feed at around 8 to 10am. Once they have their fill, they will be gone. Best to go during weekdays where there are a lot less people there.

Avoid Chinese and Japanese Garden during weekend and holiday.
Crowded with people.
SBWR week day free entrance. Morning time best.
happy shooting.

My experience with Lorong Halus is when it's raining the wild dogs will be roaming around freely. Not so when it's not raining.

My experience with Lorong Halus is when it's raining the wild dogs will be roaming around freely. Not so when it's not raining.

Wild dog is a problem. I met two at SBWR and bark at me, lucky did not panic and run, just walk away
fast.

Wild dog is a problem. I met two at SBWR and bark at me, lucky did not panic and run, just walk away
fast.
Just put n your male wild boar costume & they will never bother you.....:bsmilie:

Reactions: stephaniechew
Crowded with people.
happy shooting.

I noticed Chinese and Japanese Garden have become super crowded on weekends and PHs of late. Amazing.

Crowded with people.
happy shooting.

I like to thanks everyone who share the timings and places...............

Yesterday, first day of CNY, went behind Khatib army & Pei Ying Pri school. Surprised to see about 4 varieties. Black Koel, mappie (b & w), 2 types of yellow. One of them was the olive sun bird. The other yellow & green.

The latter 2 always on the move, so hard to focus.

Lastly, even with my 1200mm (bridge camera) I still feel the images too small. Those of you having 600mm "canon", how do you get a big image? You leopard crawled until you can feel their breath?

Thank You
EisMann.

I like to thanks everyone who share the timings and places...............

Yesterday, first day of CNY, went behind Khatib army & Pei Ying Pri school. Surprised to see about 4 varieties. Black Koel, mappie (b & w), 2 types of yellow. One of them was the olive sun bird. The other yellow & green.

The latter 2 always on the move, so hard to focus.

Lastly, even with my 1200mm (bridge camera) I still feel the images too small. Those of you having 600mm "canon", how do you get a big image? You leopard crawled until you can feel their breath?

Thank You
EisMann.

Haha...those sifus very skill in camo and sheath so that the bird would not detect them.
Focal length also important.

Haha...those sifus very skill in camo and sheath so that the bird would not detect them.
Focal length also important.

+1. Birding must have patience. If you go after the birds they will fly away. You need to let them come to you. BTW I am only using 300mm cannon.

Hmm meaning the way to do it would be to camp in one spot?

Paiseh I've never done this before.. But would really be keen to try when I eventually get the 150-600.

Hmm meaning the way to do it would be to camp in one spot?

Paiseh I've never done this before.. But would really be keen to try when I eventually get the 150-600.

Camp
12077327185_fc6b2d5043_z.jpg

Result
11168548825_40fe2580a1_z.jpg

11168743543_95ec0cb382_z.jpg

Last edited:
Ahh ok. Camp out in such hides huh. Heh thanks.. May have across mention of such gear on dpreview. But this is the first time seeing an actual photo of it.

Haha a picture speaks a thousand words indeed.

Ahh ok. Camp out in such hides huh. Heh thanks.. May have across mention of such gear on dpreview. But this is the first time seeing an actual photo of it.

Haha a picture speaks a thousand words indeed.

We used the hide to hide from the sun actually. And yes, it lets you get a lot closer to your targets.

Most of the time we do not use hides.

Camp and hide among other birders also ok...
12052953673_f0acc8d7b9_z.jpg

Result
12052348775_ae626a1588_z.jpg

Camp and hide among other birders also ok...
12052953673_f0acc8d7b9_z.jpg

Are these birders shot from Taiwan?
I notice they seem to prefer ballhead over Gimbal?
any idea on the reason(s) behind it?

Last edited: