How to Spot Fake Memory Cards (CF and SD)

Not necessary that u have to buy in big shops.
I think looking out for that "Vector Magnetics" sticker is quite a safe way to do it.
I have seen many small shops in sim lim offering good rates on cards and they have the VM sticker on it.

So an OEM is suppose to be cheaper than the original one? If I got an OEM card for the same price as an original, it means I got ripped off?

i only buy cards from IT fairs... time to stock up at COMEX.. hee hee:)

ooh well ... already spend so much money on camera gear. Should simply get the memory card from big big store. :nono:

Stock up from COMEX . 4 x 8G and 2 16G.

Last edited:
Anyone know how to spot a fake Lexar?

Apparently, unlike Sandisk and Kingston, Lexar does NOT provide serial number based verification at their website and Live Support Service Centre only asked a insecure standard question of design of the card, which is not good enough since fakes can have the exact design(albiet flaws)

Last edited:
i saw a CF memory card sandisk selling at 38 bucks at simlim is it okay? its a ultra ll 4gb

my friend bought his Lexar SD 16G @ $90+, i got mine at HN @ $50,he kena chopped or mine fake??

Anybody can confirm cards sold in IT show etc. is genuine?

i buy memory cards only from store with good reputation....I don't think a store with good reputation selling expensive cameras will damage their reputation with just less than 50 SGD worth of memory card...

I am currently working in Shenzhen and the amount of fake stuff I see at the shops is shocking. There's fake watches, fake LV, Prada, fake IBM computers, fake mobile phones and the most ridiculous even fake eggs. So just to be save, I buy memory cards at reputable shops when I am back in Singapore. It is sad if you travel and return home just to learn that whatever you photograph is not going to come out.

hi all,

i just bought a 'sandisk extreme III 8gb CF card' from PC show 2009, from the sandisk booth.

but i suspect its a fake or OEM.

there is no vector sticker, and the wording looks different from the ones i already have.
oh man....

if im not wrong, there resellers are from FUWELL, a well known store from sim lim.

anyone has photos of the actual card so i can compare?

Last edited:
I think if for sandisk Memory cards without Vector Magnetics sticker, it may be parallel product; warranty by that shop only.

but it's a IT fair and to represent SanDisk and not seeling genuine but parallel import....somethings not right

but it's a IT fair and to represent SanDisk and not seeling genuine but parallel import....somethings not right
as u mentioned..it quite worrying as after all they featured a big sandisk banner at the show..
Vector magnetic didnt list them as their authorized dealer and neither have they update on their website of the new version of the ultra II Ms Pro-Hg Duo which fullwell is currently selling
out of concern ..i just try out their ms pro duo ultra II 30mb/s version.. it read and write very fast..so far so good..

From Sandisk FAQ

Verifying if a SanDisk product is authentic

Question
How do I check if I have purchased an authentic SanDisk product?

Answer
The best way to ensure you are purchasing an authentic SanDisk product is to buy from an authorized SanDisk reseller.

View our distributor/reseller list to locate an authorized SanDisk reseller in your area.

If you are concern about the authenticity of your SanDisk product, you may contact SanDisk's tech support and select the appropriate tech support option for your product.

Tech Support
Singapore
800-852-3607
Asia_support@sandisk.com
M-F | 10am - 7pm HKT

The package list the product as Made in China and the QC slip that comes with the package is also in mandarin. I think they bought the products in direct from China and not thru the local distributor.

I bought the Extreme III 8GB SDHC.

bought a extreme iv 4GB seems exactly the same as the one i bought from other shops

it's made in china but the slip's in english and manual for rescuePRO is in english.